Mind

Mind

The human mind is much more than a brain that controls the body, stores information and helps us think. Mind, in the larger sense, includes all aspects of consciousness, beyond what we think and know. Consciousness includes our beliefs, emotions, intuition and even the parts we are not aware of that lurk in the shadows.

Some people say we only use 15 percent of our brains. I believe we use 100 percent…but we just don’t know what the other 85 percent is up to.

This is a funny joke but is also probably true. Like the tip of an iceberg, we only see a small part that sticks above the surface. In fact, much of our thinking is done below the level of awareness, according to depth psychology. The mind can be a powerful tool, both for good and bad. Our responsibility is to know ourselves, as the Greeks suggested, deeply and honestly, and cultivate the right mind to bring us in harmony with life.